POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : NEWBIE Translate/Rotate question : NEWBIE Translate/Rotate question Server Time
5 Sep 2024 00:16:59 EDT (-0400)
  NEWBIE Translate/Rotate question
From: Owen Mortensen
Date: 28 Feb 2002 20:21:19
Message: <3c7ed78f@news.povray.org>
Hey everyone!  Newbie here!

I'm having a problem with a box that I want to rotate around the Z-axis but
it's not doing what I expect.

Here's the code:

<CODE>
#include "colors.inc"

//bathroom/kitchen wall
box {
    <0,0,0>,
    <150, 96, 6>
    pigment {color Wheat}
    finish {specular 0.5 roughness 0.2}
}

difference {
    //outside wall
    box {
        <0, 0, 0>,
        <-6, 96, -240>
        pigment {color Wheat}
        finish {specular 0.5 roughness 0.2}
    }

    box {
        <10, 45, -90>,
        <-10, 77, -126>
        pigment {color Wheat}
        finish {specular 0.5 roughness 0.2}
    }
}

//kitchen/pantry wall
box {
    <150, 0, 0>,
    <156, 158.5, -120>
    pigment {color Wheat}
    finish {specular 0.5 roughness 0.2}
}

//ceiling
box {
    <-24, 96, -240>,
    <162.5, 106, 6>
    pigment {color Wheat}
    finish {specular 0.5 roughness 0.2}
    translate 24*x
    rotate <0, 0, 22.62>

}

camera {
    location < 75, 48, -400 >
    look_at < 75, 48, 0 >
}

light_source { < 75, 96, -100 > color White }

</CODE>

my problem is with the code immediately following the "//ceiling" comment.
I want the box to rotate so that it's bottom left side is still aligned with
the "//outside wall".  However, after the rotate, it ends up with its left
side back over at x=-24 (where it was originally constructed).

After the Translate, shouldn't the box be then aligned right on the z-axis
so that the rotate leaves it there?

Please clear up my thinking on this.

TIA,
Owen